Scanning...

Scanning...
There's nothing shiny in the solar system map. The solemn darkness eats away at your soul.

Monday, June 15, 2015

A fitting exit

A while back my wife realized I was getting billed twice a month for EVE, of course she thought it was a glitch because I didn't tell her about the second account until that point.  So I explained the purpose of it, and that it would only be active for a short time.  That helped light a fire under my butt to get moving.  At that point I had only logged in once to scan for an exit and hadn't had much luck.

So on June 1st at 22:02 EVE time, I logged in and took a shot.  The first thing I noticed was a Mobile Depot on scan, this was the first activity, or space-trash, that I'd seen since I packed everything up.  I bounced around the system in the Prowler but nobody was around.  Then I proceeded to scan, but with poor results.  There were 30+ signatures in system and a ton of them were gas sites.  I gave up after finding a Q003, frigate hole to null, and realizing I couldn't jump the Prowler through to bookmark the other side.

A week later, on June 8th, I logged in at 22:41 EVE time.  This time I was a bit more optimistic.  There were maybe 12 signatures in system, and a good portion of them turned out to be wormholes.  I found my E545 static null connection, a Z006 frigate hole and Z647 medium sized hole, both to w-space.  When the fourth connection showed up as a Wormhole on the probe scanner I wasn't sure whether I'd be exited or disappointed.  It could have been my N062 static C5 connection, but it wasn't.  Landing on grid with a new connection is always fun, watching to see what code is on that wormhole... Hello K162!

I started this adventure by going through a "reaching the end of its natural lifetime" wormhole from high-sec.  I guess Bob decided that was how I would end it also.  I didn't know how long I had on the original entry hole and I didn't know how long I had on this exit hole either.  Thanks Bob, for keeping things interesting.

End-of-life wormholes get my adrenaline going, getting trapped on the wrong side never fits into the plan.  So I jumped and bookmarked the other side, quickly jumping back and logging off to find out how far away the alt was.  The exit led to Antiainen, a high-sec system in Lonetrek.  The alt was logged off in Charmerout in Essence.  With the auto-pilot set to "shortest distance," the route was 16 jumps, mostly through Gallente/Caldari FacWar Low-Sec.  This also meant I had to pass through the dreaded Tama system, specifically the always-messy Nourvakaiken gate.

With the invisible clock counting down, I started warping and jumping as fast as I could.  The route through Low-Sec was mostly quiet until Tama and the Nourv gate which featured an ongoing battle, as usual.  Jumping through as fast as as possible, I continued into High-Sec and on to Antiainen.  After arriving in system and initiating warp to the wormhole, I took a deep breathe.  There was nothing I could do now but wait and watch.  Moments later I landed on grid with the quickly-pulsing wormhole and jumped through.  After checking to make sure I ended up in the right wormhole, I logged and switched to Niskin's account.  Not wasting any time, I jumped the Prowler out.

It was finally done.  Sure I hadn't put the alt in the Cheetah yet, but after cancelling the account I still had nearly a month left active.  So I would come back to that later.  With a quick reversal of the route the alt took to get into the wormhole, I returned home to Charmerout in the Prowler.  Once again passing by the endless battle at the Nourv gate in Tama, happy to have my Covert Ops Cloak doing all the heavy lifting.

Project "I guess I need an alt" is nearly complete.  Now I think it's time to hit the Market and do some shopping.  That is one thing I've missed while hiding out in w-space, shopping sprees!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments have been enabled. Please don't give me a reason to turn them back off.