Scanning...

Scanning...
There's nothing shiny in the solar system map. The solemn darkness eats away at your soul.

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Thank Bob It's Friday!

Bob must drink on Fridays, and why wouldn't he?  It's a great day for it.  But when he drinks he gets a little loose with the levers that make our wormhole connections.  Maybe he was wasted, or maybe he just forgot I was trying to call his bluff, but he definitely decided to make Friday night interesting.

I had been pretty lazy all week.  Tuesday night I scanned and found nothing interesting.  Wednesday night was the same, except I stayed logged in to watch for fresh sigs throughout the evening.  There were 3 by the end of the night but I just logged and went to bed.  At least I had the good sense to spend a few minutes filling up the new Prowler with fuel components in case I found an entrance and needed to move fast.

Thursday I didn't log in at all.  I had intended to, but real life intervened.  Recently I had started watching Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on Netflix.  On Wednesday night I managed to convince my wife to watch it with me, so I started over and we watched it together.  That took up most of Wednesday night and all of Thursday night.  Friday I got home from work, and nobody else was home yet.  So I logged on, determined to find a way in, even if I had to trudge through a long chain to do it.

First things first, I wasn't alone.  There was a Cyclone on scan, then a Harbinger and Hurricane joined him.  I decided to go ahead and ignore them and get to scanning.  All but two of the signatures were fresh, both of them gas sites.  The three new ones from Wednesday night, that I never scanned, were gone.  There weren't that many sigs to deal with, so I ran a quick scan and started with the weakest results, working my way back to the strongest ones.  The first was a wormhole, and a K162 even, but it led to w-space.  Figuring I'd come back to it later if need be, I moved to the next weakest signature.

My wormhole is usually off the beaten path due to its statics, the presence of three Battlecruisers made me think I had a High-Sec connection again, but that seemed too good to be true.  The next sig was another wormhole, another K162.  I almost fell out of my chair laughing as I read the description... "This wormhole seems to lead to high security space."  With a quick bounce I was on the hole at zero.  Then I jumped to bookmark the other side.  It led to Bomana in Khanid, a system with no stations.  D-scan showed a Loki and a Proteus and they seemed a bit out of place in this 0.5 security system that really led to nowhere.  Jokingly I thought, "what if they are coming to gank the BC's?"  I jumped back in and warped to the same safe-spot where I had seen the BC's on scan.

Itching to get moving, but curious about what could happen, I lingered for a few moments.  Then it happened, only 5 minutes after I found the exit, d-scan lit up.  A Sabre and two Proteuses (not sure of the plural on that) showed up first, and a bubble went up pretty quick.  Then a Loki, a Legion and a third Proteus showed up, along with another bubble.  From there it took a few minutes, the warp bubble count bounced between two and three until all the BC's were down.

Checking the killboard, I saw that no ship kills had happened since my Prowler went down a week earlier.  One of those Spacemonkey/GWCPS pilots had logged back in after I died and taken down one more POS array, but that was it.  By some chance of luck I got to be there to see this fight, albeit by d-scan only.  It ended up being Unseen Wolves taking down the three BC's from Ultimate Acid Inc.  The results can be seen here.

Itching to get Niskin back into the wormhole, I switched and made the 19 jumps from Jita.  Arriving back in the hole I found d-scan empty and headed to the POS to deposit the fuel components. After that I hit a safe-spot and checked PI for the other fuel component supplies I needed.  I hadn't produced Oxygen since the first few weeks in the hole and I was finally out of it.  My only Gas planet had since been setup to produce Coolant, but it also has an Interbus POCO so the taxes are terrible.  Now seemed like a good time to do something about that.  There was another Gas planet in system with a corp-owned POCO that had a 5% tax so I decided to setup another planet and migrate the expensive production there.

To get things rolling so I could produce fuel sooner, I did a partial conversion of the existing Gas planet back to producing Oxygen.  Then I headed back out to Khanid for supplies.  I was on the expensive side of the region, but most things could be found one jump away in Danera.  I picked up two Gas Command Centers and some more Hydrogen Isotopes, and then realized that there was no Liquid Ozone or Heavy Water at this hub.  The closest was 10 jumps away in Agil.  That would have been a quick trip if it wasn't heavy on long AU warps.  The worst of these was in Rilera, warping from Edani to Tegheon, which is a 180 AU warp.  There's another one further along that's ~100 and a few over 50.

On the way back the route was slightly different since I had left from Danera but was returning to Bomana.  I still ended up passing through Rilera again, and found the warp from Tegheon to Avrejet to be 180 AU also.  This was mostly annoying because I was making the trip back one warp at a time while running back and forth from the basement to the living room.  My wife had arrived home from work as I landed in Agil and during the trip back we were trying to figure out what to have for dinner.  Before I was even halfway back we decided on Taco Bell and I ran out to get it, finishing the return trip when I got back.

As I got back to the hole and jumped in, there were more visitors.  A Stratios was on scan along with 16 core probes, so at least two people were scanning.  My food was starting to get cold so I wrapped things up and logged off.  I was happy to be back home, but I needed to get back to watching SHIELD with the wife, so that wrapped up Friday evening.  As I laid down to go to sleep, I wondered, would that HS connection still be there in the morning?  Bob couldn't have gotten drunk enough for that, could he?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments have been enabled. Please don't give me a reason to turn them back off.