Scanning...

Scanning...
There's nothing shiny in the solar system map. The solemn darkness eats away at your soul.

Friday, January 30, 2015

It's worse than I thought

Originally I thought my biggest fear would be the POS getting reinforced.  Depending on the timing that could mean I'd lose everything but a few CovOps ships.  Now I find myself somewhere between caring whether I lose the POS and not caring whether I log in and play.  That puts me in the unfortunate position of having to face reality.  With about 20 days of fuel left, I have to pack it all up and hit the pause button on this adventure, or risk losing it all.  To do it properly I'm going to need to keep about 7 days worth of fuel stored for whenever I decide to unpause.  That means I have just under two weeks to get everything in order.

Fortunately I came to that realization earlier this week and started the process right away.  I had logged in to do PI and determine how I could keep things going in a low-maintenance way, when I found I didn't even have the motivation to do that.  So I started with an effort to inventory everything I needed and everything I needed hauled out.

My alt has a T1 industrial with about 32k m3 of cargo space.  I determined a long time ago that there would be no room for this ship in the pack-up plan, I can't put it in the Orca with cargo in the hold so it's really just wasted space.  Instead I have begun loading it up with things that need to be hauled out.  The laser batteries I scooped a few weeks ago are part of that, along with some loot and PI materials.  Going along with that will be the Research Array, Compression Array and Reprocessing Array.  One of the few things I was able to motivate myself to do over the last week was finish up the research on the three BPOs I have in the hole.  With that complete, the Research Array was going to get hauled out anyway.  The other two are going because I hardly use them and they take up 12k m3 of storage that I need for other things.  That means that whenever I unpause, I won't be able to process ice right away if I mine any.  That shouldn't be an issue, I'd likely haul in a month's worth of fuel components at that point anyway.

There is still some assessment to do, and plenty of work to get ready.  I have a cruiser or two that will need to be flown out, or maybe the Procurer, I haven't decided yet.  Once it's all ready I'll be able to log off all three characters in the hole and disappear.

The downside to that is it really ties up my account.  I won't be able to use it for anything else either.  Of the ships I'll logoff in, all three will have probes, and two will have cloaks.  One of those is an Orca so I won't be logging that back in unless I have to.  Really that just leaves the Prowler as an option to work with, but it will be loaded up with the POS and fuel.  If I were to take that toon out of the hole it would be very difficult to probe him back in with the others.  I'm tempted to start a second account, train up another scanning alt, and drop him in the hole so I can pull my main out for other purposes.  Or maybe just to get another account and use that while leaving this one inactive, I'm not sure yet.

That's what I'll be thinking about over the next week as I look for exits to put this plan in motion.  I'm sad that this chapter is coming to a close so soon, that wasn't my original intent.  On the upside I'm working on another update to the "Legos with my kid" page and hope to put some more entertaining content in there soon.  Have a good weekend, I'll update you as soon as I can.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. Sorry to hear your WH adventures are coming to an end. Can appreciate what you are saying. RL takes priority and when I do log in have a camper that sits cloaked in system just waiting for my hauler. Has nothing better to do than hunt for me. All good take it easy.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments have been enabled. Please don't give me a reason to turn them back off.