Scanning...

Scanning...
There's nothing shiny in the solar system map. The solemn darkness eats away at your soul.

Friday, February 6, 2015

What Happened?

When I realized I was going to have to take down my POS, I didn't think too much about why.  The most important thing at that point was to get started on the process.  Now that I'm nearing the end of that process, I've had more time to think about the why, and what the future holds.

This adventure started because I wanted to know if I could survive in a wormhole as a solo player.  Furthermore I wondered if it would be a good way to make money in the game.  The answer to both questions turned out to be yes, I could survive and I could make good money.  The caveat was that the money part was true only if I played often enough.  This wasn't a problem initially, I was trying new things and playing often due to that excitement.  But as time wore on, things got tedious.  The excitement of trying to avoid being ganked drew me in at first, but later served as a deterrent when it was less about making money and more about staying afloat.

I'm definitely one who likes figuring things out and trying those ideas to see if they are viable.  As things become routine, I lose interest.  That pattern has repeated throughout my time in J150533.  Anomalies were fun at first, but once I had run all the different types I stared to tire of them, preferring one specific anomaly over the others.  In a short time even that one became boring.  Then I moved on to Gas Mining, something I'd done many times before.  Spurred on by recent movement in that market I mined everything I could.  Once sales started to slump again my interest waned.

The same thing has happened with Planetary Interaction.  I'm just now getting my PI operations dialed in to max output and efficiency.  Now would seem like the worst time to pack it up, but it fits the pattern.  Logging in to restart extractor heads is mundane, and that loot would need to be hauled out, another action that has gotten tedious.  I do like scanning, it's calm and relaxing, but it's more fun to do it when there isn't a pressing need.  It's just like in real life, I would probably love working if I didn't have a need to do so.

I'll be continuing to think about EVE and of ways to enjoy the game over the next month or so.  I'm not deactivating my account at this time.  If another idea comes to mind I will certainly blog about it.  The next post will certainly be about my final tear down efforts.  Beyond that, I don't know what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments have been enabled. Please don't give me a reason to turn them back off.