Scanning...

Scanning...
There's nothing shiny in the solar system map. The solemn darkness eats away at your soul.

Friday, February 13, 2015

Where do we go from here?

If you're like me, you've seen the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer way too many times. In fact you've watched it enough that upon seeing the title of this post it started a replay in your head that you can't stop and you will curse me for later.  You're welcome.  Maybe it should say "where do I go from here," but I do have three toons, and this whole intro wouldn't make sense if it said "I" anyway.  Plus it's a good way to introduce the idea of a second account and potentially three more toons.  Yes, after years of having one account, I may finally have a reason to get a second one.

Running two accounts simultaneously has never appealed to me before, despite the generous returns one could get from doing so in EVE.  I don't multi-task well, and I don't have multiple EVE capable PC's, nor one capable of running multiple clients at once.  But suddenly I find myself with three characters and a need for at least one more.  With my three toons all packed up and logged off in J150533, I'm left unable to do anything else in the game until that's resolved.

Niskin has always been my main, he's approaching 76 million skill points.  I had stopped training him a few years ago due to the costs of upgrading his clone after dying.  My primary alt, Zibaz, then took over training.  First it was skills for being able to run missions, then the skills for a corp CEO and finally the skills for scanning and being able to fly an Orca.  Then I made a third alt, Pookiechu, and trained her for scanning and to be a placeholder pilot on a Drake.  Once she was ready I launched the wormhole adventure and that brings us to where I am now.

No matter what I choose to do next, it will require some thought and a second account.  It doesn't make sense to start a new toon on a new account and then skill that up and use it as my main.  Niskin is well rounded and well trained, the best plan would be to get more scanning alts into J150533 so that I can bring Niskin out and use him for something else.  As such I'll be starting a new trial account soon, and putting one or two toons in the wormhole in scanning ships.  I can then leave Zibaz and Pookiechu in there, pull Niskin out, and if I ever restart the adventure I can just come back in the Prowler with the POS.

This would open up pretty much any opportunity I can think of.  I could learn more about trading and try to make a go of it with my shiny new maxed-out Trade skills.  Or I could start a roaming adventure in any number of ships.  Other options would be joining a corp, in w-space or k-space, or doing production.  That's just what has come to me offhand, there are so many options out there.

Roaming w-space in a ship like a space-nomad has some appeal, and no upkeep which is even more appealing.  Due to cargo space limitations it would have to be a primarily PvP mission.  I've already thought of various options from Battleships to Recons to Heavy Interdictors (which opens up Frigate holes as an option).  At the moment this seems to be the most likely option, but I'm getting ahead of myself... right now I'm still stuck in a wormhole.

I'm going to keep blogging, maybe not as often as I was before though.  I'll keep you up to date on my plans as I make them and execute them.  I also have some other real life stuff I may post.  In the end I just want this blog to be entertaining, and wherever possible, about EVE.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny that your countrr to not wanting to play anymore is more accounts. Maybe I'm missing something here but that seems little helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not so much "not wanting to play anymore," but not wanting to continue the wormhole experiment due to upkeep, and the efforts required to maintain it and get something out of it at the same time. However, I also don't want to let a wormhole slip away where I have a good PI setup established. So I'm trapped between keeping enough scanning alts in the wormhole and wanting to bring my main out to do other things. The only good option I see is a second account. I could drop a couple scanning alts in the wormhole from that account and bring my main out. Then I could either let the second account go inactive until I need it, or keep it running if I find additional uses for it. It's just an idea at this point, but I don't see any other options besides abandoning the WH completely.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments have been enabled. Please don't give me a reason to turn them back off.