Scanning...

Scanning...
There's nothing shiny in the solar system map. The solemn darkness eats away at your soul.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Always thinking

If it isn't clear by now, my brain never really shuts off.  It's always processing something, poring over information and ideas.  That means that yesterday I could think one thing, and overnight my brain could process it and wake me up with a different approach.  That is why I can sleep all night, wake up, and in the short time that I lay there waiting for my alarm to go off, have several revelations.

This morning was no different.  Overnight my brain processed the following issues:

#1 Trying to scan somebody down in a CovOps, for the purpose of PvP, and then having to switch to an Interceptor to kill them... sucks.  Cloaky T3's are the meta in wspace for a reason, less missed opportunities and sufficient tank/DPS for the job.

#2 I've known for a while that my POS defenses are lame, but haven't done anything about it. Normally this would have stayed lost in my subconscious, but having ignored a High-Sec exit the night before, my brain was analyzing what I should have used that exit for, all night.

For issue #1, without the steady and substantial income needed to replace T3's at the rate I would surely lose them, that option is ruled out for now.  That also means that sufficient tank/DPS is probably out of my reach and I should focus on not missing opportunities.  This really leaves one option that I can see, bombers.  I literally woke up thinking, "I need a bomber!"

Being able to fly around cloaky, probe when needed, and attack when the opportunity presents itself seems like the right mix for the minimum effective solution.  So I will be playing around with fittings today to see what, if anything, is workable.

One of the things I originally liked about posting all this stuff in a forum thread instead of here, was the feedback from other players.  Coincidentally, this morning I also received an EveMail from a player who had been reading this blog.  He asked to remain anonymous and I will respect that.  His mail actually involved taking a look at bombers, for a completely different reason that I won't reveal here.  It also involved issue #2 above.  So I was grateful for that.  Two reasons to do something are better than one, and tips about POS defense are always welcome.

Right after I moved in I got into a discussion about POS defenses in a separate thread than the one that spawned this blog.  That's when I initially realized how poor my defenses were.  Since then I've had a loose plan in my head on how to change it, but haven't been confident enough that it was the right fix to actually go through with it.  Plus, ISK, these mods are expensive.

The EveMail pointed out some strategic aspects that I hadn't thought of, completely changing how I'm looking at POS defenses.  Today I plan to go through and and try to come up with something that covers the important bases and ignores my original misconceptions about the issue.  Then I'll just bring new mods in as I can, rather than worrying about switching the whole thing over at once.  Nothing will be taken away, just some stuff offlined.  So it will be easy to transition.

Going forward you'll likely see more posts like this mixed in with the playtime reports.  I'm very sure that I spend more time thinking about EVE than I do actually playing it.  Such is the nature of playing a very complicated game when you are married with children and work full time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments have been enabled. Please don't give me a reason to turn them back off.