Scanning...

Scanning...
There's nothing shiny in the solar system map. The solemn darkness eats away at your soul.

Monday, December 15, 2014

I was just kidding about that fate thing...

Bob wasn't amused by my temptation of fate last Wednesday evening.  He apparently gave me that inbound High-Sec connection for a reason, and was not happy when I ignored it.  Possibly inspired by the thoughts I had the following day, he saw fit to give me another chance.  I wasn't going to push my luck this time.

On Thursday, before he made his plans known, I was operating in good faith.  That was the day I'd said I was going to investigate proper POS defenses, and so I did.  The EVE POS Builder website is a little out of date, but mostly accurate.  You just have to be sure to check stuff in game before you buy and commit to a setup.

It took a while to come up with the right setup.  "Will this fit?"  "What if I leave that offline?"  "How many of those do I need?"  "Hmm, I've never run out of CPU before."  Eventually I had a plan for all the arrays to bring in and what should be left online when I'm not logged in.  Now it was just a matter of setting aside the ISK and waiting for a good exit.

The next day, when I got home from work, I logged in to see what the weekend had in store for me.  Things were quiet again, nothing like Wednesday when the entirety of the The Forge region decided to vacation in my wormhole.  So I assumed my connections were back to normal, likely a couple nulls and a couple wspaces.  Friday nights are a good time to scan down the hole to prepare for the weekend, so I got to work on that.

I assume most people in wspace organizations use Tripwire or some other website to record their scanning information.  When you have multiple people who need to contribute and use the information it surely makes things simpler.  Operating solo, I use a method that works pretty well for me, I write everything down on graph paper.  This is only for connections, anything else I just use corp bookmarks to keep track of.  Using graph paper means I always have a scratch pad nearby, and I'll make notes about things or cross off dead connections and update it.  Usually I start a new page for a new session, but sometimes they carry over if I play a few days in a row.  This method has been helpful for the blog because I've started keeping notes on the pages so I don't forget important details about my play sessions.

Normally I detail all my connections on that page and refer back to it later.  But I was so shocked when I found a K162 from High-Sec, for the second time in a week, that the rest wasn't recorded and has since been forgotten.  The only connection listed on that page says "Ation, Sinq Laison."  After finishing scanning down all the remaining signatures, I jumped out to Ation to inspect the market.  Dodixie was the local trade hub and only a few jumps away.  I switched to the Prowler for transport duty and headed over there.

Originally I had thought that the arrays I needed were more expensive, about double actually.  But it turns out that most of the stuff was in the 5m ISK range.  Hardeners, ECMs, and pretty much any other defensive array I needed.  Some were 8m and some were 3m, but generally offsetting each other when that happened.  In all, 11 arrays were purchased and needed to be hauled back.  At 4k m3 per array, that was a total of 44k m3.

My Prowler is 7.7 m3 short of an even 12k m3, which is normally not an issue, but when that is the difference between hauling 2 or 3 arrays at a time it's kind of annoying.  But I got on with it anyway, making the trip back and forth with only 8k m3 each time.  As I was jumping back into my wormhole on the second trip back, it occurred to me that my alt has a T1 hauler that could have done this in two trips.  I'm so used to Low-Sec exits that I was operating like this was one.  Still it is dangerous once you are in the wormhole, and even though it's just one warp back to the POS from there, I'd hate to get caught and killed with all this new stuff as I was arriving back home.  So I continued with the Prowler and made all 6 trips that were needed.

On one of the last few trips I also grabbed some extra Liquid Ozone and Heavy Water, as I had investigated the results of mining Ice and found I'd need more of those if I only went after Glacial Mass (Hyrdrogen Isotope Ice).  I don't really know what will be in the Shattered Wormholes so I want to be prepared.  Then on the last trip I had a lot of extra room so I considered grabbing a Stealth Bomber to bring in.  The local prices weren't bad, but I need to do some training before I figure out exactly how I will fit and use one for my wormhole purposes.  There will always be more for sale, so I passed and headed back.

On one of the previous runs, as I was landing on the wormhole connection, I noticed it had flipped to nearing the end of its natural lifetime.  I check every time I go in or out so I knew it had just flipped.  The EVE clock said 01:33, about 8:30pm local time.  If I had any other errands to run I certainly had the time.  It turns out I couldn't think of anything else and I'd spent enough ISK for one day, so once the defensive arrays were in that was it.

I spent the remainder of the evening anchoring the arrays around the POS and testing to make sure everything I wanted online at once would actually work.  Then it was on to determining what to offline when I wanted to use the Ammo Assembly array or more commonly, the Ship Maintenance Array.

As it got later, I wanted to do something productive.  Having had my gas sites mined out from under me the previous Saturday, I was ready to hit one up.  There were two up, I picked one and got to work.  Almost two-thirds of the way through mining out the gas, the rats spawned.  I quickly switched to the Drake and took them out, then returned in the Heron to loot and salvage.  Finally I extracted the second half of the larger cloud, clearing the remaining third of the site.

Once that haul was safely stored in the Orca's Ore Hold it was off to bed.  I intended to play more over the weekend but it never happened.  On Saturday I played some Minecraft with my youngest son, exploring the depths of the Mountain world we've been conquering in Survival mode.  And on Sunday I took my wife to the new Hunger Games movie, which was pretty good.  Who knows what this week will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments have been enabled. Please don't give me a reason to turn them back off.