Scanning...

Scanning...
There's nothing shiny in the solar system map. The solemn darkness eats away at your soul.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

It feels different in here

Most of the time when I log in there is nothing on scan.  Sometimes there are probes, but no ships.  Rarely there will be an actual ship on scan.  I logged in last night intending to spend a few minutes checking PI, but d-scan was telling me something was different today.  There was a Magnate on scan, and he didn't disappear when I dropped probes.  Then a Gnosis appeared on scan.  For a little while they would appear and disappear from scan.  So I decided to scan down the hole to see what was up.

I only had a half hour, which is why I hadn't intended to play originally.  The plan was to go to a friend's house and he wasn't ready yet, so I was biding my time.  First I ignored all the sigs I already had bookmarked and deleted all my old WH connections from the weekend.  This time I bookmarked everything, even the gas sites.

There were a lot of wormholes.  The first ones I found were a K162 from a C4, a frigate hole to wspace, and another K162 to somewhere that was ending.  Knowing there were at least two more, my statics, I kept scanning.

When I discover wormhole connections I usually warp to them right away, at range, to scout them.  Then I stay on that grid until I find the next one.  This time I was seeing a lot of traffic.  On one hole a frigate came through.  Then on the next hole, the K162 that was near end of life, a Hulk landed and jumped through.  I thought about grabbing the Claw and chasing it, wondering if I could solo a Hulk with that ship.  Probably, but I'd need an overview tab for drones, which I've never gotten around to setting up.  I made a mental note to actually do that this time and went back to scanning the hole.

I found 3 more wormholes, my C5 and Null statics, and... an inbound from High-Sec.  Well that started to explain the traffic.  Somebody dropped T1 core probes shortly after I recalled mine, I think it was the Magnate.  My curiosity was peaking, so I bounced to a planet and jumped through to a system whose name I've already forgotten.  The name wasn't the important part, the region was.  Nothing gets you traffic like a connection to The Forge.

With time running out before I needed to leave, I jumped back to my wormhole and reviewed what I'd found.  The frigate hole was a L002, and I'm not real familiar with the various hole codes for that class of holes.  Wondering if that led to one of the new shattered holes, I warped to it and jumped through.  The hole itself was a pretty blue color, and landing on the other side I found there were system effects.  The Anom list looked less interesting than I expected, and there were no ice fields.  I warped to a planet to see what these shattered planets looked like.  Landing at one of the few planets in the system, I was saddened to see a fully intact planet.

Funny story, the new wormholes all start with J000 and this one started with J100.  This was not a shattered hole.  My brain wouldn't admit the mistake though, still thinking the new holes were 100 instead of 000.  A quick check of StaticMapper told me this was a C2 Cataclysmic.  Stupid brain, remember stuff better next time!  With that lame adventure over I jumped back home, warped to a safe and logged off.

I don't like to tempt fate, but it wasn't a good night to commit to EVE and I couldn't think of any reasons why I needed an exit at the time.  So I let the opportunity pass.  Bob will be disappointed, I'm sure.  I don't expect him to give me any good exits again for a while.  Or maybe he'll just give me good exits and no shattered connections.  Only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments have been enabled. Please don't give me a reason to turn them back off.