Scanning...

Scanning...
There's nothing shiny in the solar system map. The solemn darkness eats away at your soul.

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Apparently I'm a hoarder

Yes, I'm "that" guy, the one who has all the anomalies in your constellation locked up in my wormhole.  Last night's count was 27, mostly combat sites, clogging up my Probe window.  I think that puts my carebear rating at 1/10.  It was so ridiculous that I had intended to warp around and get a bunch of the timers running at the end of the night.  Unfortunately I ran out of time and was very tired by the time I logged off, so that will happen another night.

Yesterday started pretty simple.  I got home from work and the wife was still at work, so I logged in.  I had been worrying all day--due to my slacking over the last week--that I was falling behind on earning ISK, and letting the POS fuel situation languish.  The former was true, I hadn't been running sites much, but the POS fuel supply wasn't in any dire position.  For whatever reason I thought I had dipped below 28 days supply, which had never happened yet since I moved in.

After logging in I warped around and scouted out the hole, nothing was showing up on scan.  Not really paying attention to the time, I figured I'd run a quick combat site.  This is becoming a bit of an auto-pilot effort for me now.  Grab Drake, grab ammo and MTU, warp to site, drop MTU, align, kill.  It was going fine until the end of the 2nd stage, when my cellphone rang.  My wife was almost home and we needed to play driveway shuffle with the cars.  Normally this is where I'd be like "I'm busy, I'll move them later."  But I had already told her I was playing and it was a good time to earn some standing.

So I finished off the second wave and warped out as the third was spawning, back to the POS.  I ran out and sat in my car, which was colder than one would expect for having just driven it home from work.  A few minutes later she arrived, and we pulled into the driveway in the correct order for our work schedules the next day.  As we walked in the house I said "I need to go finish what I was doing."  She responded with "I need you to help with dinner."  I told her I'd hurry, and I did.

Getting back downstairs I had a dilemma, I don't like sitting in the POS in a PvE ship and then warping out to a site all obvious like.  Normally I swap ships, and warp off and cloak when I take these breaks.  There wasn't time and my site already had wrecks and an MTU in it... Throwing caution to the wind, I warped back to the site.  Luckily there was no ambush, just the site as I had left it.  I quickly finished it up, grabbed the salvage Heron and cleaned up the loot.

After a quick ship swap I was back in a safespot cloaked.  I ran upstairs to help with dinner, which turned out to be that I was making the salad.  That involved adding one bag of mixed salad greens, adding some corn, rinsing and adding some black beans, chopping and adding some peppers and green onions and mixing it all up.  Then I helped get all the plates ready and sat down to eat.

My wife and I usually eat in the living room with the TV on, with the kids at the table in the other room.  A decent amount of time had passed and it was approaching 8:00pm local time.  I briefly forgot that I was logged in and had planned to run anoms all night.  Looking through the cable guide there was a Hallmark Channel Christmas movie coming on at 8:00, one we hadn't seen yet.

We actually watch a lot of these movies, it's just something simple to have on that you don't have to get too invested in.  This year the channel had a bunch of new premieres, the last two of which looked really bad.  I had joked previously that we had to watch them both and decide which was the worst.  The movie coming on at 8:00 was the first of those two, so I said "sure, let's watch it."  Moments later I remembered the original plan and thought "oh well, the movie will be over at 10:00."

As it turns out, I think the last of the two movies will be the worst, this one wasn't as bad as I expected.  But it was 10:00pm and with the wife headed to bed, I went back downstairs to continue my plan for world domination not running out of ISK.  Once again I checked the hole, with nothing on scan it was back into the Drake.  This is how I prefer to operate, long periods of sitting cloaked followed by the appearance of a Drake and a quick run of a site.  It minimizes the attention of those who may pass through and then find a reason to linger.

Things started out fine, but before the end of the first wave d-scan showed a Heron.  Heron's can't warp cloaked, so I warped back to the POS and jumped in the Claw.  Core probes appeared, and the Heron stayed on scan, so I bounced around trying to find him.  He was near my POS, but not at the planet or POCO.  Eventually it occurred to me that he was probably still on grid with the wormhole he came in.  Once again, if I scan first nothing happens, If I don't it's non-cloaky targets galore.  I switched to the CovOps and took a stab at combat probing him down.  He didn't stay on scan long after that.  Bouncing around the system, the probes were gone, the Heron was gone.  Oh well, back to the grind.

While finishing up the site it occurred to me that a non-cloaking Heron is not something that was likely to have come through my C5 or Null statics.  It was getting late, around 11:00pm, yeah I know, I'm old.  But I knew I had to scan down this hole, and still needed to do PI and I wanted to run more anoms.  So scanning it was, which found several gas sites, but I already had too much to do!  Eventually I found it, the K162 from Low-Sec, that explained the Heron.  Jumping through I found myself in Turnur in the Metropolis region.  My first exit after moving in, found in an adjacent hole, had led to Metropolis Low-Sec, so this was a pleasant surprise.  Being seven jumps from Hek this was a great spot to pop out, I checked my market quickbar and everything I needed to buy and sell was either in Hek or on the way there.

I jumped back into the wormhole and warped to the POS.  With all the blue loot, salvage and a load of C60 & C70 I headed out in the Prowler once again.  A quick stop at a Low-Sec station took care of the blue loot, the rest went to Hek and was sold.  I put the gas up on the market, having to stray from my Jita Everywhere philosophy due to market saturation on one of the gasses.  I then filled up on ice products for fuel and suddenly remembered I needed Micro Jump Drives too.

MJDs were introduced while I was on a break from the game, and I haven't fitted one yet.  It turns out they have a separate skill and I hadn't trained that yet either.  Luckily both items were available on the route back to the wormhole.  With another 5m ISK burned on stuff I hadn't planned for, I headed back home.

Back at the POS, checking my supplies, I had plenty of ice products but was a bit short on PI materials.  It was getting close to midnight so I wanted to get that taken care of so I could go to bed.  Mostly it was Enriched Uranium, and I had some on the planet so I just had to go get it.  But I also went through restarting extractors and moving materials between planets to make the advanced materials.

As I was preparing to start the fuel job I noticed how much fuel I actually had, still more than 28 days, but not by much.  Feeling better about it all I started another 50+ runs.  Then I realized I had a surplus of Robotics, the one PI item I do actually haul out and sell.  So I made a final trip out to Metropolis to find the market for Robotics was quite healthy.  I usually list these on sell orders but the buy orders were so good I flat out sold them all immediately.  12.5m ISK richer I flew back home.

Finally it was time to offline the SMA and the Ammun.... oh crap I'm making fuel!  I hadn't made fuel since upgrading my defenses and hadn't figured out what to leave online/offline during that period.  It turned out to be best just to leave one hardener off.  The clock had hit 1:00am and I was wiped out.  So I stumbled off to bed, mostly due to a few glasses of wine.  Luckily sleep came quickly, but I still woke up pretty tired.

In the morning I got up and delivered the fuel job, offlined the Ammo Array and put the hardener back online.  It was perfect timing, I logged in with 4 minutes left on the job.  I think that's about as productive of a night as I could ever expect.  Now if I could just find time for a nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments have been enabled. Please don't give me a reason to turn them back off.